30 November 2006

Swashbucklers AND Samurai!! Hip Hip Hooray!


So I walked over to the local comic book shop, Main Vein Comics, yesterday at lunch. I haven't been in a few weeks, because I have sooo many comics that I haven't read, all sitting in the tidy little bags I carried them home in. I need to catch up, but I'm always looking for something new to read. I'm so bored with X-men, the Black Panther/Storm miniseries I was reading is over, and I'm just kind of sick of X-Men in general. I liked what I read of Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse. Actually I liked the artwork, and what I remember of the story was clever. I could read some of the husband's comics, but, nah.... And there was something I picked up that I meant to read, I even got a TPB, but I can't even remember what it was. It's somewhere in a tidy little bag, waiting for me to find it again, and go, "Oh yeah! I wanted to read that, but...."
So why the heck was I in the comic book store anyway? Well, I had to say Happy Birthday to Moose, the owner, and it's always fun to chat with him about kids and comics. I wanted to check to see what Living Dead Dolls he had so that I could get an idea of what I might get my little budding Goth kid for Christmas. And to see what I might like to read if I ever get around to sitting down to read a comic.
And there it was: Samurai. I was originally attracted to the artwork on the cover. Not too busy, there was a beautiful woman, and a handsome samurai on the cover. I thought about the Sorcerer game we're playing, and my tragically forgetful, teetering on the verge of a nervous breakdown character, Shizuka, (the name of a Chemistry professor at my alma mater/former employer. Prof. Shizuka is not forgetful or on the verge of a nervous breakdown.) and her homicidal demon husband, Taietsu. (An intentional bastardization of the name Taitetsu, who was one of my Religion professors in college, and definitely not a homicidal demon). This could be interesting, I thought. So I snapped it up, along with another (yawn) X-Men, just so I could finish the mini-series, not that I cared.
The art rocks. The story so far is interesting. Lost love, blood and gore, swashbucklers, cool costumes. Right up my alley. Yayy! I love comics again!

1 comment:

Parthenia said...

I wrote:
And there was something I picked up that I meant to read, I even got a TPB, but I can't even remember what it was.

I went back to the Main Vein yesterday, and Moose reminded me that I was all a-flutter with excitement over Jonah Hex. Now I gotta go back and read it!