19 November 2006

Dandelions and Exercizing Music

I'm a huge fan of missbhavens. So I'm following the directions from her October 31 entry.

1. Grab the nearest book. If you are currently reading something, that'll be fine too.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your Blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet I know that is what you were thinking!

One ounce of the fresh leaves contains enough large amounts of vitamin A and calcium, as well as substantial amounts of vitamin B1, vitamin C, sodium, potassium, and trace elements.
Dandelion roots are thick and dark brown on the outside, with a milky interior. The crown of the plant, where stem and root meet, can be several inches long when dandelion is grown a deep mulch. The leaves of dandelion plants grow in a rosette form against the ground.

From Growing and Using the Healing Herbs by Gaea and Shandor Weiss. This book was on the floor of the computer room.

Speaking of health, I have been doing my body good for the past two months by going to the Y at least 4 days a week to work out. I'm beginning to see some great results. I've gone down at least one dress size, my clothes are looser (thankfully, I wear mostly hand made patchwork clothes with drawstrings, so I don't have to buy a new wardrobe just yet), I have more energy, I sleep better, my back doesn't hurt, and I feel less stressed out. The husband has been doing the same, and is looking quite the cutie lately. I can even see the early formation of a six pack on his stomach, although he says it's just the way his fat sits. I am forever the optimist, though. I have not lost my stretchmarks, my battle scars from childbearing, but there's definitely less flab in my belly region.

Something that has not necessarily improved is my regular music listening patterns. My usual folk and bluegrass isn't as fun to jam to on the elliptical (I HATE TREADMILLS, btw), but here's what I've found to be my favorite excercise music. This doesn't necessarily mean I love this music, it just has a good beat the keeps me going:

Kodo, the album Mondo Head. I do love this album, and I hadn't listened to it in a couple of years until I went to the Y. The song "Psychopomp" is my favorite. It sounds like being tickled.
The Best of Nina Simone. Maybe not the most upbeat, but it's just so awesome. "Wild is the Wind" and "See Line Woman" are my favorites.
Tool, "Stinkfist", "H.", "Prison Sex", "Undertow". Songs I can't listen to with children around, reminds me of college. I generally only listen to Tool when I'm cleaning the bathroom or excercizing.
Dead Can Dance, Aion
Ministry, "Every Day is Halloween". Reminds me of high school. Makes me want to look for my Skinny Puppy CDs.
Anything by Bob Marley, because I generally listen to anything by Bob Marley at any given occasion.
Random songs by The Smiths.
Random songs by Prince, but only from the 80's and 90's.
Random songs by OutKast.

Ingrid just came up here with a very incorrectly snapped diaper. Must fix it and pick on the husband.

1 comment:

Parthenia said...

Yesterday worked out to some of my favorite Grateful Dead ditties, and I must say, I'm hooked. "Tennessee Jed", "Casey Jones", and "Me and My Uncle" really work well with the EFX machine.