12 May 2003

I just made a meat pie. I have crossed the vegetarian-meat eater's line. Can I really say I'm a carnivorous vegetarian if I eat a savory pie made mostly of meat? My stews have a significant amount of veggies, but meat pie is mostly meat. And damn good. It's easily made into a vegetarian recipe using tvp or seitan. So here's

The Shepherdess' Franco American Meat Pie

1 small onion chopped (which I didn't have, but would have been nice. I used extra garlic instead)
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp or less salt
1/4 tsp or more fresh ground pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sage
1 1/4 lbs cubed buffalo, lamb, beef, or other type of meat or meat substitute. Ground meat would work, too, I guess.
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 carrots chopped (over a cup)
1 cup cut green beans
2 pie crusts. One for the top, one for the bottom. I only had one crust and no butter to make another, and it was just fine as an open faced pie.

Prebake 1 crust 8 minutes at 375. In a skillet brown the alliums (garlic and onion) with a little olive oil. Add ingredients and some water (about a cup). Sprinkle spices and simmer 20 minutes. Drain the excess water and oil and spoon filling into the crust. Use the other crust to cover the pie, cut slits in the top to let out the steam.
Bake at 450 for 15 minutes then at 375 for 20-30 minutes.
Say random French like Voila! and Oui! Oui! or make a smarmy "French" snicker and remove pie from oven. Let sit for 10 minues and serve. Optional: continue to pretend to be a snickering French person who can't speak French, and make fun of zee stupeed Americains who cannot cook zee French cuisine correctement. Or pretend to be a snooty American who thinks she's just perfected zee French cuisine. Either way, this recipe might be what we need to mend the rift between our two countries. Make fun of the other and break bread together.

No comments: