07 January 2007

Being Productive?


A few days ago, I sat down in front of the laptop and worked on my game a bit. My plan was to put in a few more hours last night, but I felt so crappy yesterday, due to the meds I'm taking (I made mention of a kidney infection earlier here, and low and behold...), that I never made it back to the computer. I actually managed to get to the Y, did a little work out--on the treadmill, no less, sat in the sauna for 10 minutes, and felt even worse. I went home, laid on the couch, and could barely move for the next 6 hours. I had a brain splitting headache, I had the chills, and I thought I would throw up. Primo insisted I was getting a cold, but I know it's the side affects from the medication. I hate side affects. So much for being productive.

Friday night, Primo and I went to dinner with all but one of my coworkers (there are 4 people in the whole company). Our boss took us out to one of the snazziest restaurants in the area. The food was delicious. I was so not looking forward to is (see previous post), but good food and wine can brighten any mood. It was actually really fun and I realized that I do like my boss. Come to think of it, I knew that already, but my work morale is so low right now, it's hard to keep that in mind. I'm both motivated to show my boss I'm not the bad employee she painted me to be in my performance review, and to look for another job. Yes, the whole crappy performance review is a lemon which will make for good job-searching lemonade.

I also finished my first homework assignment for a correspondence course I signed up for back in September. I signed up in part because it's something I've always had a big (but quiet) interest in, and partly because African American folk magic (rootwork, conjure, hoodoo) figure prominently in my game.

While my parents were here, I had some heated words with my father about how he doesn't manage his diabetes. He took those words to heart and now checks his blood sugar 2-3 times a day like he's supposed to. His blood sugar is still in the 200's, but while I was checking it last week, it was fluctuating between 300 and 500. Way to go, daddy! So it appears that he heard me, and is making an attempt to change and get healthier. I know that's easier said than done, and I'm happy he's making baby steps towards that goal. I am still very worried about him, though.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, other than I haven't been feeling very productive lately, and needed to take stock of what I'm doing. Game writing, hating job and doing something about it, being sick and still going to the gym, doing homework, feeling like my dad heard me. If I believed in astrology, I'd say something was in retrograde that affected some house that put me in a funk. Simply put, I'm trying to de-funk.

No comments: