20 October 2006

A knitting pattern from one of my old blogs

I've littered the internet with dead blogs apparently. Here's a knitting pattern from the very first (or maybe second) Parthenia's blog, written sometin in January 2003:

I am a fantasy knitter. I knit (and felt) things like wizard hats for everyday wear, gauntlet mittens. My hats would look good on faeries and gnomes. I interpret literature with my knitting. Sometimes I take it a little too seriously. Sometimes I don't take it seriously enough. If I wear my hat, scarf, mitten ensemble, I look like an elf--a really tall elf. When I add the green cloak, I just look ridiculous to everyone except maybe elves--elves who live where it's cold. But I'm warm, so who cares? It's 0 degrees F tonight. The elves have the right idea...Tonight I finished Bea's "Ollie's Ski Hat". It looks exactly like the one that Ollie wears in Elsa Beskow's Ollie's Ski Trip. All the lamb's in the flock want one. The husband even stopped gloating about his new snowboarding helmet and boots to admire the hat.
OLLIE'S SKI HAT
Ingredients: a little more than a skein of Lamb's Pride Bulky in Raspberry.
Needles: 10 1/5 US circular 16" and dpn's. I probably could've used 10's, and it would've been tighter but I didn't have any.
Gauge: Sorry, kids, no gauge this go'round.
Fits: Well, made to fit a preschooler who's the size of your average 5 year old, but it's supposed to be big (look at the picture) It fits this shepherdess with my big head o' dreads, fits the the husband with his big long haired head. One size really does fit all sometimes, I guess.

Cast on 72 sts on circs. Join and place marker at beg of row. Knit in 3/3 rib pattern (K3, P3) for 10-11". Decrease as follows: *K3, P3, K1, K2tog, P3, K3, P1, P2tog* rpt from * to the end.
Next round: follow new pattern (*K3, P3, K2, P3, K3, P2*)
Next round: *K3, P3, K2tog, P3, K3, P2tog*.
Next: follow new pattern (*K3, P3, K1, P3, K3, P1*)
Next: *K3, P2, K2tog, P3, K2, P2tog*. Eventually you'll have change to dpns.
For each round keep decreasing in the same manner. Just follow the pattern you're making, till you're K2tog all around. Break yarn, pull tail thru all rem sts. Make and then attach a tassel or a pom. I think Ollie's got a tassel.
Ollie's Ski Pattern copyright Parthenia. Reproduce, share, and enjoy, but please don't sell.


This hat needs to be washed and reshaped regularly, but it's still warm. Enjoy!

No comments: