25 January 2009

I lost my superpower!

And I'm okay with that! I've been nursing an infant, toddler, or preschooler since May 29, 1999, with a 1 year hiatus during pregnancy. Ingrid is my last child and my last nursling. Now we are on to another era. My body is once again my own.

So there's some bittersweetness here. A few months ago we came to the conclusion that our family was complete with two kids. No third or fourth baby. I'm a little sad about that, but now I'm Auntie (or Tia) Julia! How cool is that? I'm an only child, so I never really thought about the prospect of being someone's aunt until my sister in law got pregnant.

I'm a bit of a breastfeeding evangelist. I'll hold back for now, except to say that I loved breastfeeding and at times I hated breastfeeding. Plugged ducts, thrush that wouldn't go away, nursing strikes, night nursing, nursing while sick, nursing a sick baby, nursing in public, nursing in front of people who made their disgust apparent, nursing while walking down the street, I've been there, done that. I have heartwarming breastfeeding stories, and stories that would make me (and you) blush. I wouldn't trade any of it. I won't judge any woman who cannot breastfeed and I am a firm believer that breast is best. Period. The more encouragement women get from their families, care-givers, and the rest of the world, the more healthy a nursing relationship she and her baby will have. (stepping off the soapbox now.)

The best thing about weaning is that now that Ingrid is older, I can see that goal of being a midwife with much more clarity.

The thing I'll miss most is that I never got a tee-shirt that said, "I make milk! What's your superpower?"

1 comment:

rootsmama said...

I was going to write something sappy and cheesy and it just looked WRONG, so I'll just say "aw, that's sweet."